Todd's Seeds is thrilled to offer the Oregano, Italian (Vulgare) Herb Seed, a beloved culinary herb that is essential in Italian and Mediterranean cooking. Italian Oregano, also known as Vulgare Oregano, is prized for its robust, peppery flavor with hints of balsam and mint. This perennial herb is not only a staple in the kitchen but also an attractive addition to the garden with its small, oval leaves and delicate, purplish-pink flowers. Italian Oregano is easy to grow and maintain, making it a perfect choice for both novice and experienced gardeners. This herb is not just a culinary delight but also known for its medicinal properties, including antioxidant and antibacterial benefits.
- **Sowing Time:** Best planted in early spring or indoors in containers.
- **Soil Requirements:** Prefers well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0.
- **Planting Depth:** Sow seeds just beneath the surface, about 1/8 inch deep.
- **Spacing:** Space plants about 10-12 inches apart.
- **Germination:** Typically occurs within 7-14 days at temperatures of 65-70°F.
**Growth and Care**
- **Watering:** Requires moderate watering, allowing soil to dry between watering.
- **Sunlight:** Thrives in full sun but can tolerate partial shade.
- **Fertilizing:** Minimal fertilization is needed.
- **Harvesting:** Harvest leaves as needed, preferably before the plant flowers for the best flavor.
- **Digestive Aid:** Often used to help soothe digestive issues.
- **Antioxidant Properties:** Contains compounds that provide antioxidant benefits.
- **Antimicrobial Effects:** Utilized for its potential antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- **Respiratory Health:** Used in traditional remedies for coughs and respiratory ailments.
- **Cooking:** Essential in Italian cuisine, perfect for flavoring pizzas, pasta sauces, and grilled meats.
- **Herbal Teas:** Can be brewed into a fragrant and soothing tea.
- **Seasoning Blends:** A key component in many herb blends and marinades.
- **Infusions:** Excellent for infusing oils or making herbal vinegars.
**Simple Recipe: Italian Oregano Pesto**
A flavorful twist on the classic pesto, ideal for pastas and bruschetta.
- Fresh Italian Oregano leaves
- Olive oil
- Pine nuts or walnuts
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Blend Italian Oregano leaves, nuts, garlic, and Parmesan cheese in a food processor.
2. Gradually add olive oil until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Use as a sauce for pasta or as a spread on bruschetta.
The Oregano, Italian (Vulgare) Herb Seed from Todd's Seeds is an excellent choice for anyone looking to grow a versatile and flavorful herb that is a cornerstone of Italian cuisine. Its ease of cultivation and rich flavor profile make it a must-have in any herb garden.
1 Packet: 5g
1 Gram ~ 600-650 seeds
1 Pound ~ 165,000 seeds