Waltham 29 Broccoli Seed
Todd's Seeds is delighted to offer the Waltham 29 Broccoli Seed, a time-tested favorite among gardeners and chefs alike. This heirloom variety, named after Waltham, Massachusetts, where it was developed, is celebrated for its cold resistance and ability to produce well-formed, flavorful heads. The Waltham 29 is known for its large, dark blue-green heads and abundant side shoots, making it a prolific producer in home gardens. Its robust flavor and nutritional value make it a top choice for a variety of culinary uses.
- **Sowing Time:** Best sown indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost, or directly outdoors in late summer for a fall harvest.
- **Soil Requirements:** Prefers well-drained, fertile soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0.
- **Planting Depth:** Plant seeds ¼ to ½ inch deep.
- **Spacing:** Space seeds 3 inches apart, thinning to 18-24 inches apart as they grow.
- **Germination:** Germination typically occurs within 5-10 days at 70-80°F.
**Growth and Care**
- **Watering:** Regular watering is necessary to ensure even growth.
- **Sunlight:** Full sun to partial shade.
- **Fertilizing:** A balanced fertilizer should be applied for optimal growth.
- **Harvesting:** Harvest the central head when it is firm and tight, before the flowers start to open. After the central head is harvested, smaller side shoots will develop.
Waltham 29 Broccoli is a powerhouse of nutrients and health benefits:
- **Rich in Vitamins and Minerals:** Loaded with vitamins C, K, and A, and minerals like potassium and iron.
- **High in Fiber:** Great for digestive health.
- **Antioxidant Properties:** Contains potent antioxidants that support overall health.
- **Cancer-Fighting Compounds:** Broccoli is noted for its cancer-fighting glucosinolates.
**Simple Recipe: Waltham 29 Broccoli and Cheddar Soup**
Savor the homegrown taste of Waltham 29 Broccoli in this classic and comforting soup.
- 4 cups of chopped Waltham 29 Broccoli
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic until translucent.
2. Add broccoli and broth, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender.
3. Blend the soup to the desired consistency using an immersion blender.
4. Stir in heavy cream and cheddar cheese until the cheese is melted.
5. Season with salt and pepper, and serve warm.
The Waltham 29 Broccoli Seed from Todd's Seeds is perfect for those who value both flavor and nutrition in their home garden. This variety's resilience and productivity make it a rewarding choice for gardeners of all levels.
Packets = 5g or approximately 1500 Seeds
1 Gram ~ 315 seeds
1 Pound ~ 100,000-150,000 seeds